Thomas Larkin

Born
1848
Died
1937
Profession
Merchant

Terms served on Council

Title Council From To
Alderman Camperdown 1883 1889
Alderman Camperdown 1891 1908
Mayor Camperdown 1886 1886
Mayor Camperdown 1896 1897
Mayor Camperdown 1902 1904

Family background

Thomas Larkin was born in Camperdown in 1848; his parents were James and Rosanna (Rose). He was married on 27 June 1876 at St Marys to Elizabeth Harford (1849-1936).

Occupation & interests

Thomas Larkin owned a grocery shop on the corner of Parramatta Road and Layton Street in Camperdown. It was demolished in the 1920s to widen Parramatta Road. Larkin Street, previously called Smith Street, was named after the family.

Local government service

Thomas Larkin was first elected to Camperdown Council in 1881, filling the vacancy left by his father James. Thomas Larkin served as an alderman on Camperdown Council in 1881-83 and 1891-1908. He was mayor three times, in 1886, 1896-97 and 1902-04. In his first term as Mayor Larkin laid the foundation stone of Camperdown Town Hall in November 1886. His brother James Larkin Jr was also an alderman on Camperdown Council (1902-08).

Because Camperdown was in a parlous financial state, it was absorbed into Sydney City Council in 1908.

References

Sydney Morning Herald 4 February 1937 p. 7

Sydney Morning Herald 15 November 1886 p. 3

Sydney Morning Herald 26 November 1902 p. 5

Evening News 9 February 1899 p. 3

Citation

Printer friendly version Persistent URL:

http://sydneyaldermen.cosstaging.net.au/alderman/thomas-larkin/

Share this entry on: