Stephen Thomas Davoren


Terms served on Council

Title Council From To
Alderman City of Sydney 1910 1912
Alderman City of Sydney 1915 1918
Alderman City of Sydney 1918 1921
  • Stephen Thomas Davoren, d. 1939 (City of Sydney Archives, NSCA CRS 54/261)
  • The 'Evening Star' Hotel in Crown Street, licensed by Alderman Davoren from 1910 to 1919. This photograph, taken on 27 February 1917, shows a three-storey sandstone building with highly ornate parapet bearing the inscription 'Re-Erected by J. Roberts, 1888'. Painted on the facade is 'The Evening Star Hotel, by Mick Farrell'. Two workmen sit(centre)as children play near the entrance door, over which is gold-leafed 'Beaver Stout'. A large painted sign on the side wall advertises Tooth's XXX Ale and below Wolfe's Schnapps (City of Sydney Archives)

Family background

A date of birth for Stephen Thomas Davoren has not been found. His parents were Patrick and Mary Davoren. In 1904 he married Julia M (b.1887), daughter of Joseph and Ellen Gorman, at Glebe and had three sons and three daughters. He died in December 1939 at Paddington.

Occupation & interests

In 1905, Stephen T Davoren’s address was the Ultimo Hotel and from 1910 to 1919 his address was the Evening Star Hotel at 370 Elizabeth Street. He appears to have been a publican. In 1894, Thomas Davoren, possibly a relative, was a publican in Cleveland Street. In 1930 Stephen T Davoren was living at 92 Lang Road. On 5 November 1918 a lane between Foveaux and Collins streets in Surry Hills was named Davoren Lane in his honour.

Local government service

Davoren was Alderman for Cook Ward, 6 May 1910 to 1 December 1912, for Flinders Ward, 1 December 1915 to 1 December 1918 and for Cook Ward from 2 December 1918 until his defeat on 30 November 1921. He was a member of the Works Committee, 1911-13 and 1916-21 and its Vice?Chairman in 1919. He was a member of the Health and By-Laws Committee in 1911 and 1916-17; and the Finance Committee, in 1911 and 1919-21.


City of Sydney Archives: Aldermen’s Files; Photo: CRS 54/261; NSCA CRS 51/683 Demolition books, 1900-1949


Printer friendly version Persistent URL:

Share this entry on: