Frederick Bushby Wilkinson was born on 6 May 1861 at Burwood, son of William Hattam Wilkinson and Elizabeth Sibyl nee Milligan. He married Mary Dorothy Osborne at Bungendore, NSW on 23 September 1896.There were two daughters and a son of the marriage. He died at Rose Bay on 16 September 1933, aged 72 years. Mary Wilkinson died on 1 February 1963, aged 87 years.
Occupation & interests
Educated at Sydney Grammar, Wilkinson graduated MA from Sydney University (1884), was admitted as a solicitor on 29 August 1885 and became a partner of the firm of Wilkinson, Osborne & Rundle, Castlereagh Street Sydney. He was author, with his father, Judge W H Wilkinson, of The Australian Magistrate (1903). Wilkinson was a member of the Incorporated Law Institute for 17 years and a churchwarden of Christ Church, St Laurence 1887-95 and a Synod member. He lived with his parents at Hereford House, Glebe, and moved to Rose Bay after his marriage.
In 1898 Wilknson maintained the existence of a diptheria hospital in Glebe Road Glebe was ‘a menace to the health of the inhabitants and the government should be requested to immediately remove the hospital to some less crowded and more suitable locality’.
Local government service
Frederick Wilkinson was concerned about admission of infectious cases to the Children’s Hospital at Glebe in 1900, contrary to a previous understanding that no infectious cases should be treated there. Local MLA J A Hogue supported the removal of the Children’s Hospital from Glebe. A new Children’s Hospital opened at Camperdown in 1906.
Sydney Morning Herald 12 February 1896 p. 5; 6 December 1898 p. 7
Sydney Morning Herald 3 April 1900 p. 7
Sydney Mail 4 May 1901 p. 1101
Sydney Morning Herald 18 September 1933 p. 10