David Bedford, and wife and at least five children (Maude, Matthew, Arthur, Randolph and Steven) initially lived near the ‘dust-reddened’ Parramatta Road and then on Australia Street near Lennox Street. Bedford bought a portion of the Pencilville Estate on Enmore Road in Enmore Ward in 1871. The family moved to their house there, named Olive Bank, on the east corner of Reiby Street, in 1873.
Local government service
David Bedford was an alderman on Newtown Council in 1863-81, representing O’Connell Ward.
‘Biographies of the Early Aldermen’, Newtown Project website: http://www.newtownproject.com.au/local-council-info/biographies/10