Alexander H Moir was born at Balmain, Sydney, in 1906, son of Alexander H Moir (died 1938) and his wife Violet née Hulme. Alexander Hibbert Moir, of The Boulevarde, Miranda, died on 27 March 1979, survived by his son Gary and grandchildren. His funeral was held at Palmdale Crematorium, Ourimbah.
Occupation & interests
The name Alexander Moir of Bowra Wharf, Pyrmont, appears in Council records in August 1891 for a contract to supply one and half million hardwood blocks for Sydney’s streets. There were further contracts between Council and Ernest and Alexander Moir in 1928 involving concrete work at Circular Quay. This was possibly Alexander Hibbert Moir’s father.
Although it has not been confirmed, Alexander Moir junior was probably a paper merchant. In 1930, Alexander Moir and Company was operating as wholesale paper merchants at 99 Clarence Street. In February 1948, Alexander Moir and Company supplied the Sydney Council with handmade paper for the printing of the Proceedings of Council. They applied to extend their premises in Clarence and Kent Street in 1955 and by 1965 applied to use premises at 145 McEvoy Street, Alexandria for an office, factory and warehouse. Alexander Moir and Company was still in business at 360-64 Botany Road in 1955.
Local government service
Alexander Moir was Alderman for Alexandria, 1 December 1950 to 4 December 1953. He was a member of the Works Committee and the Health and Recreations Committee from 1951 to 1952 and the Finance Committee and the City Planning and Improvements Committee in 1953.
City of Sydney Archives: Aldermen’s Files